This post is sponsored by Natural Balance and the BlogPaws® Pet Influencer Network™. I am being compensated to help spread the word about Natural Balance available at PetSmart, but Well Minded only shares information we feel is relevant to our readers. Natural Balance and PetSmart are not responsible for the content of this article.
As a pet sitting professional, I am often asked about diet recommendations. There are a lot of great pet foods out there, but there are also a whole bunch of seemingly healthy foods that I would steer clear of. Diet is one of the most important factors in a healthy lifestyle. Just like our skin, hair, body makeup and energy levels are affected by the foods we eat, your dog's skin, coat, weight, and energy are affected by the quality of the dog food you provide. I believe in rotational feeding, which means I feed N.A.S.H.A. a variety of high-quality dog foods. Though we throw in a new one now and again, there are a few staples in our lineup, and Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets® is one of our favorites.
When I was a kid, no one in my class was allergic to peanuts or had a gluten sensitivity. And pretty much every family dog ate some kind of crappy puppy chow and seemed to do just fine. I can't get into all of the ins and outs of how these health issues may have developed in humans and canines, but, over time, it seems we're witnessing more and more diet sensitivities.
If your dog has food allergies or is sensitive to traditional dog foods, a food with limited ingredients may just be the ticket. The fewer the ingredients, the less chance of a reaction.
why is Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets such a great food for dogs?
PetSmart® carries a complete line of Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets (L.I.D.) for both cats and dogs. You can find dry, canned, and treat formulas at your local PetSmart or at Petsmart.com. What is so great about a "limited ingredient" pet food? And why Natural Balance?
• The foods contain a single-source animal protein, which may help pinpoint the source of the sensitivity and help you avoid it in the future.
• Natural Balance offers unique proteins such as rabbit, venison, bison, and wagyu beef. Some of our pets have developed sensitivities to the proteins more commonly used in pet food, so switching things up can help.
• A variety of grain-free options are available. Grains are another common culprit of food sensitivity in our pets.
• Natural Balance limits the carbohydrate sources, thus minimizing the chance for food sensitivity.
• No artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives. Hallelujah!
• The food contains omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids that, along with a quality protein, support healthy skin and a shiny coat.
• Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets are suitable for all life stages.
• Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets are backed by a "Buy with Confidence" guarantee, which means their food is tested, and you can see the results of your particular bag of food on the Natural Balance web site. How awesome is that?
our experience with Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets
As you know, we rotate N.A.S.H.A. through several natural pet foods. We do this to try to avoid her developing food sensitivities and also to keep her happy and interested at mealtime. Would you want to eat the exact same thing every day for your whole life?
It's great that Natural Balance offers a variety of unique proteins, so if your pet is allergic or sensitive, you can stay within the family, yet still offer variety.
For the past month, N.A.S.H.A. has been enjoying the Sweet Potato and Fish formula. My family groaned when I brought it home from PetSmart, thinking it would be super stinky (they are anti-fish dog food for that reason). Fish is super healthy for dogs, so I sometimes opt to suffer through the stink. But the Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets fish food...er...dog food...you know what I mean...isn't stinky at all! No, really!
N.A.S.H.A. loves the food and has had no problems adjusting. She punches me in the leg for second helpings, a practice that can be quite irritating, but at least I know she's enjoying the food. Her skin and coat have been really healthy, even though here in the Arizona desert, it's the driest time of the year. I wish my skin and hair were tolerating the season as well! At ten years old, N.A.S.H.A.'s energy level has been great, and she's been able to keep up with all of our holiday antics.
We will definitely keep Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets in our food lineup. As I've mentioned in the past, several of my clients have had great success with it, as well, and it's my go-to recommendation for pets with food allergies or sensitivities.
where to find Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets
Is your pet on a Limited Ingredient Diet? We'd love to hear about your experience!